Sunday, June 15, 2014

Charity-Quilts and Fabric

I am combining 2 of my favorite linky parties:
The weekly Sunday Stash- love looking at fabrics
and Le Challenge, this month's theme was Charity.

I created 2 Charity quilts for The UK based Siblings Together, with the help of my Euro Siblings Together Bee Group.
One girl quilt:
 Sorry for the shody pictures, it's raining today and cloudy, I will get better ones, when I am finished quilting.
My bee girls did 7 of these colorful blocks and I did 2, I incorporated the cute little print in between the blocks to make the quilt a little bigger.
 Some Alison Glass in the dark green block, this block design is the Mosaic Tiles pattern in the book "Modern Bee Book" written by Lindsay Conner.
Mosaic Tiles block from the book "Modern Bee" from Lindsay Conner - See more at: http://secretlystitching.blogspot.gr/2014/02/mosaic-tiles-quilt-along-quilt-bag.html#sthash.28xtpKEl.dpuf
Mosaic Tiles block from the book "Modern Bee" from Lindsay Conner. - See more at: http://secretlystitching.blogspot.gr/2014/02/mosaic-tiles-quilt-along-quilt-bag.html#sthash.28xtpKEl.dpuf
Mosaic Tiles block from the book "Modern Bee" from Lindsay Conner. - See more at: http://secretlystitching.blogspot.gr/2014/02/mosaic-tiles-quilt-along-quilt-bag.html#sthash.28xtpKEl.dpuf

One boy quilt:
loosely based Anna Pattern from Jibberish Designs
 My bee girls made up 5 of these blocks and I just had to make 4 more, this is very loosely based on a pattern that I won in last year's Sew Mama Sew Giveaway week, you can read about it here along with some of the fabric that I won.

They both have this fun Free Spirit "Playa Sur" print designed by Yolanda Fundora and Cynthia Hart.
 For the backing:


I will quilt them a little more and bind them this week, look for them on Friday, lol, I actually have no idea of when they are due.

I had actually purchased different fabric for the boys quilt, thinking to go more "Spacey" but when I got the 5 blocks in from my bee mates, they looked more surfer dude than spacey so the backing fabric turned out to be a good choice for it.
I picked up these fabrics from Fort Worth Fabric Studio and Mel shipped them to me with my 1930's swap fabric.
Out of the World Panel from P&B Studio, with half a yard of matching space ship fabric.
They have the planetary system on the side, I thought these would be great to cut out and put on the front of the quilt and put the solar system panel on the back, but as I said I went more surfer than spacey.
I am keeping this and these great blenders for another boys quilt to make in the future.
 This fabric is a great price at less than $4 a yard, it is called Curls Penny Wise, she doesn't have much of this left, but it is a little stiffer than Kona solids and runs the color all of the way to the selvage, but there is no name on the selvage.  I love the design and this is a great blender.
I am very happy to say that these blenders do NOT bleed, so happy about that, I get so sad when my fabric bleeds.
 The colors I chose match really well with the "Out of this World" Panel and spaceship fabric.
This panel is also called Out of this World (a very popular fabric line name) but is made by Stonehenge and it glows in the dark, I will be using this for the Charity, it is going to be a pillow cover.

Sarah asked what I was going to do with my spools, do you like?
I also got this fabric, just for me! from Fort Worth Fabric Studios, I really wanted to try the brand Adornit, I had just heard about it and I wanted to see what their fabric was like, I love it, it has a great hand and feel to it. Looks like she has sold out of this print, but she has others.
It runs diagonally to the selvage and has great words like SPARKLE in it, the background color is a cream with patches of light tan, it makes the printing look old world, I really love it.  Can't wait to get more of their fabrics.
More on the Charity quilts later this week and a Thank you to all of the people to help me make them.
If you did not enter in the Big Birthday Bash Giveaway, make sure you do!

10 comments:

  1. Wonderful quilt tops Mara! Great fabric choices and I love that last print! Thanks for linking up to le challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. two great quilt tops for a great cause. The solar system fabric is great, perfect for a little boy

    ReplyDelete
  3. forgot to say I did that mosaic quilt too (or based one on it) from Lindsay Corner's book for modern bees. I also did mine in dark green for an elderly aunt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that the solar system fabric still has Pluto! :-). And that text print is great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. An amazing entry for le challenge - and a great charity - thanks for participating in le challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What nice quilts. Love the text fabric

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are busy! Well done. Plus nice addition to your stash.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both the quilt tops are great, I love a quilt with a lot to look at! Enjoyed the fabric feast!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice stashing! I love the charity quilts you made. The boy one is my favorite. Good job!

    ReplyDelete